logo collage
  • Dual Enrollment

    What is it and what are your options?

    Dual Enrollment is when a high school student takes college classes as part of their normal school day.  The college classes count as BOTH high school and college credits.  Even though they already have college credits, your student will still be eligible for freshmen scholarships after high school graduation.

    There are many benefits to dual enrolling in college classes.  Because the student is still in high school, Carman-Ainsworth will pay for a portion of the college tuition.  The out of pocket cost to the family depends on which college/program the student chooses, but it is always a great savings compared to traditional college. In addition, the college courses provide students with a college experience, better preparing them for the rigor of college after high school.  Students have the chance to graduate from high school with anywhere from 3-55 college credits, depending on the college/program they choose.


    Carman-Ainsworth High School offers several Dual Enrollment options!


     Our programs with the University of Michigan--Flint are:

    C-A STEM Early College

    DEEP Program

    Traditional Dual Enrollment


    The C-A STEM Early College is a program designed for students interested in the Medical Sciences or Engineering and have at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA, with a good attendance and discipline record.  This program is 3 years, including a 13th year of high school.  Students apply during their sophomore year.  During their junior and senior years, they take 3-4 high school classes and 2 college classes each semester at CAHS.  The UM-Flint instructors teach right at the high school.  During the 13th year, students will take only one high school class (possibly online), and spend the rest of their day taking college classes of their choice on the UM-Flint campus.  Even though they are still in high school, they will be like any other college student, except CA will be able to pay part of their tuition!  While this is our most rigorous program, students will enter college with approximately 55 transferable college credits. There is an application/interview process required to enter this program.

    The DEEP (Dual Enrollment Educational Partnerships) Program is for students who wish to only take classes for one year.  Those interested in the medical sciences join the students who are in their senior year of the CA STEM EC.  The classes are held at CAHS and taught by UM-Flint instructors.  If a student would rather take pre-law courses, they will join students at Swartz Creek High School for their college classes, and spend the rest of the day at CAHS taking 3-4 high school classes.  Medical science classes are available to seniors only, while pre-law is available to both juniors and seniors. Students will graduate high school with 12-13 college credits. All students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher, and a good attendance and discipline record, to be accepted.

    Lastly, students who have interest in a specific class that UM-Flint offers that is not part of the other programs, may participate in a Traditional Dual Enrollment program.  These students take 3-5 classes CAHS, then provide their own transportation to UM-Flint to take the class/classes of their choice.  Some of the past students have taken Calculus I or II, Arabic, Music and English.  All students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher to be accepted.

    If you are interested in learning more about any of the UM-Flint programs at CAHS, please join us for an informational meeting at 6:30pm on December 13th, in the high school auditorium.  Representatives from UM-Flint will be there.


     We also offer some on-site and traditional programs through Baker, Mott and Kettering.

    Over the last several years, students have been able to take college classes both onsite (at CAHS) or through Traditional Dual Enrollment with Baker College, Mott Community College and Kettering University.  These classes are great for students that want a college experience but might not want to commit to a program.  Mott and Baker have both sent instructors to CAHS and taught classes such as American Sign Language, Oral Communications, African American Studies and Sociology, and Kettering offers online Calculus II and III.  While 2018-2019 courses offered at CAHS are yet to be determined, if a student can provide their own transportation, they may take a course of their choice on campus, including many of Mott’s technical certificate programs.  While there is not specific GPA requirement for Mott or Baker, students must be able to take a placement test and complete an orientation process.


    CAHS students may also participate in the Genesee County Career Technical Education Early Middle College.

    In addition to the programs at CAHS, Genesee County has started its own Early College program for students in the county interested in pursuing a technical degree or trade skill.  Similar to our other early college option, students apply during their sophomore year and commit to a 13th year of education.  However, these students will split their classes between CAHS, GCI and Mott, Baker or UM-Flint depending on which technical program they choose.  Because this program is through the Genesee Intermediate School District, selection is open to students across the county. Students must apply by going to https://www.geneseeisd.org/cms/one.aspx?portalId=188937&pageId=649332

    To learn more about the GC CTE EMC, contact Jennifer Thomas, GC CTE EMC Coordinator, Genesee Intermediate School District, by phone at (810) 591-3288 or by email at gc-cte-emc@geneseeisd.org.


    If your student is interested in learning more about any of the dual enrollment opportunities that Carman-Ainsworth offers, please have them talk to their counselor, or see Mrs. Thornton in the guidance office.  You may also reach out to Mrs. Thornton by phone or email at 810-591-5456, jthornto@carmanainsworth.org.